May 10, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of KatherinesAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The things about John Green's writings that I really love is how A) he does this, and B) the story is told in the first person point of view, which leads to C) I literally sighed the first time I read An Abundance of Katherines because D) Green uses the third person point of view.

I feel weird how this story is told from the third person point of view. What makes me love Looking for Alaska so much is that Pudge is the narrator. So I can tell how he really feels without bothering other characters.

Colin, just like other protagonists in Green's books, is a nerd. He anagramed anagrammable words as if being a child prodigy and mastering eleven languages are not enough. Colin really is a self-centered person. Until the very end of the book, I still find it hard to know why he wants to develop a theorem of Dumper/Dumpee so badly. And also, the fact that he had 19 Katherines in his life is very much disturbing. Colin himself does not know why he fell for Katherines for so many times possible. Even until he fell all over again to Katherine The Great or K-19, which means he had already 18 Katherines to figure out what really is happening between him and Katherine, he still did not know why. His character stuck in the same vicious cycle on how to develop a theorem and how to stop whining on being a dumpee. Colin is weird enough to have a weird life.
As for Hassan, as a Muslim, I like how liberal he is described as. I can totally relate to what Hassan says and does and thinks (sometimes, except his denial to go to college).
And Lindsey, well, unlike other muses of protagonists in Green's books, nothing is very special about Lindsey except that she lives in a pink house with her mom who has a factory and basically provides the needs of everyone in town. Other than that, Lindsey is just another girl behind the counter reading Celebrity Living.

However, I find the math equation smart. The only reason possible for that is either a) I am easily fascinated with difficult things, or b) I am just plain dumb. Colin really is a genius. But he is socially dumb.


Nevertheless, I do not regret giving this book a try.

View all my reviews

No comments: