Jan 31, 2014

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, MargaretAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 STARS!

This is the third book in my shelves that is rated 5 stars. I guess I am just weak for children/young-adult stories because most of them are just so easy and fun to read. This book reminds me a lot of The Bully Book ; the narrator in the story is the protagonist, it's written in a diary-writing way (which is fun, because her thoughts on things are shamelessly funny), and it ends happily! (Nothing bad comes out of a happy ending book)

Anyway, Margaret is so adorable. She is what every 12 year-old girl is: having an exclusive group of friends in which they sort the boys they like with numbers and getting excited for their first period. I remember my first period and it was just like Nancy's: a false alarm. There was a pressure if you were the latest to get your period among your friends.

I also like Margaret's parents' idea of religion: she needs to look for it before she finally decides what religion she is going to practice. I don't complain over the "A person doesn't choose religion, a person's born to it", but I think the idea is basically out there, you know, by having a deep understanding of one religion, one can practice his religion wholeheartedly. I was born to a religion, but that doesn't mean I wish I was born without any. In the end, what matters is how we dedicate ourselves to what we believe.

I can very much relate to this book!

View all my reviews

No comments: