Jan 2, 2015

Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me GoNever Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My first encounter to Never Let Me Go was to the movie version of it without knowing that it's actually based on the novel with the same title. I did not really watch the whole movie, though. I skipped some parts then totally forgot to resume watching it. Until few months ago when my Ajarn in Literature and Film class required the whole class to read the novel and analyze the movie.

So I finished the book just in time before the final exam (with some spoilers from the movie parts I watched during classes and reviews from some friends who finished earlier).

If my Ajarn could just not spoil the fact that this book is actually a (view spoiler) genre, maybe I would get the OMG WTF feeling by finishing it. However, that does not stop me from reading the book. If any, I felt a little bit curious. And this book is good. Not on the outstanding level or exceed expectation, but I think this belongs to acceptable (OWLs reference).

It is important that the story is told in Kathy's point of view. Among all three protagonists, Kathy is the most vulnerable, most innocent, yet most caring. Her point of view tells the story as it is, even though she herself does not really sure whether her memory serves her right, but at least she does not seem to lie. It is easily believable. The story brings up the issue of the Other and how society sees and treats them. It also brings up the issue about life; how we as humans develop through life stages until we come to the end aka death.

The love triangle is enough to make me hate all protagonists because of all the things they do and do not do.



But the resolution is satisfying, so it's a win-win.</["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]>

View all my reviews

No comments: